Tuesday 1 February 2011

Mine smell like honey... huh?

Is it me, or is this just... wrong?

Ethan from Murmurs got a sneak preview of this video, and now that I've seen it I agree with him - the music video for Mine Smell Like Honey is BANANAS.

The whole thing is shot with still images, and involves Michael getting carried up a flight of stairs by a group of men and women. Mostly, the video is in black and white, with the exception of the odd picture (see above for an example), and the end in which Michael is lying on top of a bunch of chairs... with green eyes. I'm sure his eyes are really blue, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Though the video itself isn't in particularly high quality in full screen, it's an interesting watch, and you may even find yourself laughing a little! I do hope this embed code works:

Err... nope. I had hoped to post an embed code, but it seems to not be working. To view the video, click here.

Now that I've had time to reflect on the video, I have to say that, on the whole, I like it - it would have been good to have seen the other band members in it, but a bearded Michael Stipe (not dissimilar to my PE teacher at school, I might add) will do just as well. The general consensus amongst fans seems to be is that this is a strange video, a point that would be impossible to argue against - all one needs to do is view the first ten or so seconds to get a flavour of what the rest of the music video will be like. So far, there has been no word of the track being made available for purchase on iTunes, but seeing as most of R.E.M.'s music videos are up there we should be able to get it soon.

Finally, I'd also like to take the opportunity to say Happy Birthday to Ivana and Elena from Mike Mills Tribute, who started the site one year ago yesterday, on their birthdays. Have a good one!

Yours truly,
Auctioneer

Update: R.E.M. posted a higher quality version of the video on YouTube! Here it is:


Ahh... that's better. :)

2 comments:

  1. Like the video! Why can't they carry the other band members up as well ... perhaps they don't visit because of the odd elevator system. Also, aren't Michael's eyes green? He does say they are on the song 'Chance,' or is that a character?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Chance" was actually Michael reading out a collection of singles ads, like the ones found in the back of magazines! I'm fairly certain they're blue... perhaps the pictures at that point were artificially coloured (similar the the video for Green Day's "Basket Case")

    And if that's the kind of elevator system they have there, I don't blame the others for not appearing. :)

    Yours truly,
    Auctioneer

    ReplyDelete